A little tribute to the my home state of Kansas of “Home on the Range” – written by Dr. Brewster Higley (1876) was my inspiration for a recent Sunday art project. This one took a tad longer than expected thanks to my oldest wanting to help and my indecisiveness with the background color.
Progression shots as you can see how I started off with a much lighter, more aqua toned background…
Did you notice the mister super excited holding the painting in progress above? He wasn’t super stoked about me changing the background color three different times. Sorry I didn’t take a photo of me free handing the words – I was in major concentration mode. All in all it ended up to be a huge success and I was happy with the result. Don’t be made at me if you are singing “Home, home on the range…” the rest of the day.
I channeled my inner Jill and Kathy (my mom) this weekend. Of course I received help from my mom on this project, but we don’t need to dwell on that. What did I do, you say? Well, I created my first real painting! I had a big open space in my master bedroom that I just couldn’t figure out what to do with. My mom had purchased a large, framed painting from Tuesday Morning a while back because it was on clearance for $20 – the frame alone was worth more than that. Several times, she has taken paintings like that and just painted right over them to get what she was looking for. So, I decided that an abstract painting would be perfect for that open space in my room, and she helped me get exactly what I wanted!
Here’s the painting she originally bought.
And here’s our inspiration photo. I wish I could give credit to whatever magazine it came out of, but I simply can’t remember. Sorry about that!
We popped out the canvas and painted white acryllic paint all over.
Making a Clean Slate
Once that dried, we used a coral color, a make-shift mint (I mixed a greenish color with white and a bit of yellow and blue to get the right shade), and a charcoal grey. All I really did was create large, square-ish sections. Then I’d blend each section into each other a bit so that it wasn’t an exact pattern. The original painting already had a great texture to it, so it added to the effect perfectly.